In Florida, many relatives have taken over the responsibility for raising another family member’s child for a wide range of reasons. The adoption process varies depending on your family relationship to the child.
- If you’re related within the 3rd degree of consanguinity (the child’s parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, uncle/aunt or sibling), the adoption plan will be a less expensive, streamlined process.
- If you’re not related within the 3rd degree of consanguinity, the process will be similar to an identified adoption.
In either scenario, we can help you evaluate the facts at no charge. Like any other adoption, it’s a very personal decision that requires careful consideration and should be in the child’s best interest. Some benefits and features of relative adoption to consider:
- Depending on a number of factors, you may or may not need one or both birth parents’ consent to complete the adoption. We can evaluate your circumstances and advise you on this issue at no charge.
- You’ll become the legal parent(s) of the child. This means you become responsible for the child’s welfare.
- The child will inherit from you as if born to you.
- A new birth certificate will be issued, listing you as the child’s birth parent(s).
- Adoption may be finalized immediately after filing the petition, provided any required consent documents have been executed and filed.
- No home study is required for a relative adoption.
With more than 30 years of adoption experience, our board certified adoption specialists can walk you through the process of adopting a related child. If you decide to move forward, we can make it happen for you.
Ready to get started?
Contact us for an initial consultation.
- Our flat fees for relative adoption start at $2,850.
- We accept all major credit cards.
- Expedited completion for uncontested relative adoptions available.